Steve concentrates his practice in the labor and employment field and in employment-related litigation. He advises private, municipal and school district employers in areas of general employment law.
Steve litigates discrimination claims before municipal, state and federal administrative agencies and in federal and state courts.
He also advises businesses, municipalities and school districts in their relations with labor unions under the National Labor Relations Act, the Wisconsin Municipal Employment Relations Act and the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, including the counseling of employers during representation proceedings, the negotiation of labor agreements, the arbitration of labor disputes and the litigating of unfair labor practice charges.
He provides training and guidance to employers and supervisors on employment-related topics.
Steve litigated insurance defense cases, primarily medical malpractice claims from 1983 to 1995, and has concentrated his practice in the labor and employment field and related litgation since 1995
Honors & Recognition
- State Bar of Wisconsin Law Related Education Award, 2005
- Municipal Electric Utilities of Wisconsin Distinguished Service Award, 2017
- Wisconsin Association of School Boards 20-year Service Award, 2020
See our disclaimer regarding third-party awards.
Presentations, Publications, & Contributions
- League of Wisconsin Municipalities Police & Fire Commission Handbook, 2019
- Wisconsin Association of School Boards Monthly Legal Comment
Presented to the following organizations
- University of Wisconsin Law School
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Small Business Development Center
- University of Wisconsin Division of Continuing Studies
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- League of Wisconsin Municipalities
- Municipal Electric Utilities of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Association of School Boards
- Wisconsin School Attorneys Association
- Wisconsin Society of Human Resources Managers
- Wisconsin Association of County Personnel Directors
- Wisconsin Municipal Mutual Insurance Company
Community Involvement & Board Memberships
- Oregon School District Board of Education, member and current President
- Oregon Area Educational Foundation, Inc., Founder, Director and Vice-President
- Oregon Youth Baseball, Inc., Founder, Director and President
- Oregon Straw Hat Players, Board of Directors and President
- Oregon Athletic Booster Club, Board and President
- St. Norbert College National Alumni Board, President
- St. Norbert College Board of Trustees
- American Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Administrative and Local Government Law Section
- Labor & Employment Section
- Litigation Section
- Dane County Bar Association
- Society of Human Resource Managers, National, Dane and Sauk County
- J.D., cum laude, University of Wisconsin Law School, 1983
- B.A., summa cum laude, St. Norbert College, 1980
Steve’s Latest Writing & Presentations
HR Heads Up | 01.14.22
On January 13, 2022, the U.S. Supreme Court issued an order which has blocked OSHA’s Emergency Temporary Standard regarding COVID-19 (“ETS”) from taking effect. Thus, employers are no longer obligated to comply with the ETS’s requirements, including the vaccination, masking, and testing mandates.