Mai Chao is an associate with the labor and employment and family law practice groups. Her practice is focused on employment-based immigration and intersecting legal issues involving family and immigration law. Mai Chao advises her clients about available immigrant and non-immigrant visa options such as F‑1, J‑1, H‑1B, and TN visas. She also counsels public and private businesses on work authorization compliance and other personnel matters.
Prior to joining Boardman Clark, Mai Chao was a civil litigator with a Madison law firm focusing on family law and consumer protection matters at state, federal, and appellate levels. She previously was a judicial intern at the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
Mai Chao is fluent in both oral and written Hmong.
Admitted to Practice
- Wisconsin State Courts
- United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
Honors & Recognition
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Scholarship, 2017
See our disclaimer regarding third-party awards.
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Dane County Bar Association
- Legal Association for Women
- J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School, 2017
- B.A., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2013
- Powers-Knapp Scholar
Mai Chao’s Latest Writing & Presentations
Part 1: Alternatives for “H-1B Lottery Losers”
HR Heads Up | 05.09.23
This is the first installment of a multi-part series discussing alternatives to the traditional “cap-subject” H-1B. We begin by exploring cap-exempt and concurrent H-1Bs, which can be granted even to “regular employers” without participating in the lottery.