Attorney Weller focuses his practice in the areas of taxation, business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, estate planning and employee benefits. David provides legal representation to businesses, individuals, school districts and tax exempt entities.
David chairs the firm’s Tax Practice Group and provides comprehensive tax planning, preparation and representation before the IRS and other taxing authorities. David has been with Boardman & Clark LLP, or its predecessor law firms, since 2001. Prior to that time, he worked for several years at a public accounting firm and is a certified public accountant.
Attorney Weller has particular experience in mergers and acquisitions, having negotiated and successfully closed numerous deals on both the buyer side and on the seller side. Further, David has significant experience in estate planning and administration of trusts and estates, including estates subject to federal estate tax. As part of that estate planning, he has set up several family foundations.
Admitted to Practice
- Wisconsin State Courts
- United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- United States Tax Court
- Received Private Letter Ruling Request from IRS regarding employee benefit plan that saved the client income taxes on approximately $500,000 of income
- Numerous mergers and acquisitions in the $5 million to $30 million range
- Estate planning and administration of trusts and estates of all sizes; including Federal taxable estates
- Employer support for implementation and ongoing maintenance of employee benefit plans
Honors & Recognition
- AV Preeminent® Rating by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- Named to the Wisconsin Rising Stars® list, 2006-2010
See our disclaimer regarding third-party awards.
Presentations, Publications, & Contributions
- Co-Author, "Deciding on Probate Procedures and Income Tax Considerations," Wisconsin State Bar: Handling a Basic Probate, June 2013 and June 2015
- Co-Author, "Representing the Client: The Basics, Chapter Two of Eckhart's Estate Planning Workbook," State Bar of Wisconsin Sixth Edition, 2014 and 2016 Supplement
- Co-Author, "Keeping the Books - Accounting in Trust Administration," "Fundamentals of Trust Administration," NBI, November 2007
- Presenter, "Planning for the Credit Shelter Trust Through 2011 and Related Basis Issues," University of Wisconsin Law School CLEW, November 2001 and November 2002
- Presenter, "Annual Tax and Employee Benefits Update," Boardman & Clark LLP Annual School Law Seminar, November 2002 through November 2016
Community Involvement & Board Memberships
- Downtown Kiwanis, Membership Committee, Past Board Member
- Downtown Madison, Inc. (DMI), Government Relations Committee, Past Member
- RFDF, Past Board Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Dane County Bar Association
- Wisconsin Certified Professional Accountant
- J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School, 1997
- B.S.B., Curtis L. Carlson School of Business, University of Minnesota, 1993
David’s Latest Writing & Presentations
President Biden’s Proposed COVID-19 Vaccination or Weekly Testing Mandate for Employers Does Not Generally Apply to Schools, Except for Head Start Programs
School Law FYI | 09.10.21
President Biden announced that the Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) would be issuing an emergency rule that requires all private sector employers with 100 or more employees to require their employees to get vaccinated for COVID-19 or submit to weekly COVID-19 testing.