Attorney Weller focuses his practice in the areas of estate planning, taxation, and business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions. David provides legal representation to individuals, businesses and tax exempt entities.
David chairs the firm’s Tax Practice Group and provides comprehensive tax planning, preparation and representation before the IRS and other taxing authorities. David has been with Boardman & Clark LLP, or its predecessor law firms, since 2001. Prior to that time, he worked for several years at a public accounting firm and is a certified public accountant.
Attorney Weller has significant experience in estate planning and administration of trusts and estates, including estates subject to federal estate tax. As part of that estate planning, he has set up several family foundations. Further, David has particular experience in mergers and acquisitions, having negotiated and successfully closed numerous deals on both the buyer side and on the seller side.
Admitted to Practice
- Wisconsin State Courts
- United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- United States Tax Court
- Estate planning and administration of trusts and estates of all sizes; including Federal taxable estates
- Numerous mergers and acquisitions in the $5 million to $30 million range
- Received Private Letter Ruling Request from IRS regarding employee benefit plan that saved the client income taxes on approximately $500,000 of income
Honors & Recognition
- AV Preeminent® Rating by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- Named to the Wisconsin Rising Stars® list, 2006-2010
See our disclaimer regarding third-party awards.
Presentations, Publications, & Contributions
- Co-Author and Co-Presenter, "Deciding on Probate Procedures and Income Tax Considerations," Wisconsin State Bar: Handling a Basic Probate, June 2013, June 2015, February 2019
- Co-Author, "Representing the Client: The Basics, Chapter Two of Eckhart's Estate Planning Workbook," State Bar of Wisconsin Sixth Edition, 2014, and Seventh Edition, 2019. 2021 S-PP & 2022 S-PP.
- Co-Author, “Marital Property Law and Practice in Wisconsin” State Bar of Wisconsin Fifth Edition, 2019
- Co-Author, "Keeping the Books - Accounting in Trust Administration," "Fundamentals of Trust Administration," NBI, November 2007
- Presenter, "Planning for the Credit Shelter Trust Through 2011 and Related Basis Issues," University of Wisconsin Law School CLEW, November 2001 and November 2002
- Presenter, "Annual Tax and Employee Benefits Update," Boardman & Clark LLP Annual School Law Seminar, November 2002 through November 2021
Community Involvement & Board Memberships
- Downtown Kiwanis, Membership Committee, Past Board Member, Foundation Board
- Downtown Madison, Inc. (DMI), Government Relations Committee, Past Member
- RFDF, Past Board Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Dane County Bar Association
- Wisconsin Certified Public Accountant
- J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School, 1997
- B.S.B., Curtis L. Carlson School of Business, University of Minnesota, 1993
David’s Latest Writing & Presentations
School Law FYI | 01.09.23
The regular open enrollment application period for the 2023-2024 school year begins on February 6, 2023. To prepare, school boards must meet this month (January 2023) to designate regular and special education spaces for the 2023-2024 school year and make any desired changes to the board’s open enrollment policies.