John is principally a real estate lawyer, whose practice encompasses both transactions and litigation in a wide variety of settings. Transactional services include the full array of commercial real estate deals: development, purchase and sale, leasing, financing, condominiums, easements, and entity formation. In transactions, John takes special care to draft contracts in plain language. His litigation experience includes breach of contract, LLC member disputes, loan default, partition, construction defects, landlord-tenant disputes, eviction, adverse possession, and contested probate matters. In litigation, John strives to be cost-effective.
Many of John’s clients are owners and managers of commercial real estate, seeking advice about development of commercial property, leasing, condominium and property management, and related real estate services. John also advises banks and auto dealers, and frequently consults with the estate planning group, on real estate matters. John previously practiced law in Chicago from 1991 to 2006.
Community Involvement & board memberships
- Habitat for Humanity of Dane County, Inc., Pro Bono Legal Representation
- Urban League of Greater Madison, Inc., Pro Bono Legal Representation
- Legal Action of Wisconsin, Volunteer Lawyers Project, Pro Bono Legal Representation
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Lawyers Hotline Volunteer
- Member, City of Madison Building Code, Fire Code, Conveyance Code & Licensing Appeals Board
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Illinois State Bar Association
- J.D., University of Wisconsin – Madison, 1991, Managing Editor of Wisconsin Law Review
- B.B.A. in Finance, University of Wisconsin – Madison
- Modern architecture and design