Richard L. Schmidt
Rick provides specialized knowledge involving Section 1031 exchanges, cellular towers, boundary issues, title insurance claims (both insurer and insured), and management and production agreements for bands.
Rick’s clients include banks, convenience store operators, commercial landlords, developers, small and medium-sized businesses, rock bands, attorneys and other persons who appreciate cost-effective representation. Rick is involved in nearly every aspect of real estate law, including purchase, due diligence, platting, rezoning, restrictive covenants, lease, construction, sale, condominium creation and exchanges. He works creatively with his clients to resolve real estate disputes quickly and save the deal.
Rick’s practice also includes other business areas such as lender’s rights and the rights of entertainers and management companies. His clients benefit from his specialized knowledge of such diverse matters as cellular towers, title insurance claims, boundary issues and fuel pricing. He is always intrigued to learn more about how his clients run their business.
honors & recognitions
- Listed in the Best Lawyers publication (2001, 2005, 2012, 2016)
- AV Rated- Martindale Hubbell
presentations, publications, & contributions
- Numerous articles and Continuing Legal Education seminars on real estate boundary law, real estate sales and leasing issues, UCC law, collections advice and ethics
community involvement & board memberships
- UW- Platteville Foundation
- Porchlight, Inc. Capital Campaign Committee
- J.D., cum laude, University of Wisconsin Law School, 1989, Order of the Coif
- B.S., University of Wisconsin-Platteville, 1983
- Real Estate Broker’s License (inactive)
- F.C.C. General Class License
- Running (completed Madison Marathon 2008)
- Bicycling (veteran of every Horribly Hilly Hundred but 1)
- Skiing (snow and water)
- Mountaineering (reached the summit of Mt. Elbrus in Russia in August, 2008)