Jason M. Hunt
Jason Hunt is a member of the Patent, Trademark and Copyright Law Group. Jason has a general practice, including but not limited to intellectual property law, patent law, trademark law, copyright law, trade secret law, and intellectual property litigation. He is also the Chair of Boardman & Clark’s Emerging Companies Group which provides counseling and services for start-up and early stage companies.
Jason counsels clients in the strategic planning, management, protection, monetization, licensing, enforcement, and defense of patent, trademark, and copyright portfolios. Jason takes a business oriented approach to intellectual property, working with companies to develop and grow their business, strategically designing intellectual property portfolios which align with company objectives and within company budgets, as well as connecting companies with resources and other contacts to reach company goals.
Prior to attending law school, Jason worked for several years in the pharmaceutical industry and in a University research facility.
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- State of Wisconsin
- State of Iowa
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
presentations, PUBLICATIONS, & CONTRIBUTIONS
- Co-author, “Collegiate Efforts to Enforce Logos,” Legal Comment, Wisconsin School News (June-July 2011).
- “Accelerating Green Technology Patents,” Dorsey eUpdate (December 2009).
- “For Sale – Your Trademark as a Keyword,” Dorsey & Whitney LLP Intellectual Property Update, Vol. 5, No. 1 (January 2005) (republished by: IPFrontline.com (March 23, 2005).
- “Intellectual Property Audits: Strategic Protection of Existing Assets,” Countdown to Takeoff Seminar, Madison, Wisconsin (August 22, 2013)
- Panelist, “Open Innovation Panel Discussion: Business owners and inventors share what works for licensing products” Ideas to Profits Conference, Green Bay, WI (April 19, 2012).
- School District Logos and Mascots: Copyright & Trademark Issues Lathrop & Clark LLP Annual School Law Seminar, Madison, Wisconsin (November 16, 2011).
- Intellectual Property Basics SWCC/SBDC Southwestern Business Conference and Expo, Southwestern Iowa Community College, Creston, Iowa (June 29, 2009).
- Find it Free and Fast on the Web National Business Institute (NBI) Continuing Legal Education Seminar, Iowa City and Des Moines, Iowa (November 3 & 5, 2008).
- Protecting Yourself and Your Invention: Patent Strategies Annual BIGMAP Symposium “Biotechnology Policy and Law,” Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa (April 23, 2008).
- Electronic Legal Research: Looking Beyond Lexis and Westlaw Iowa State Bar Association eCommerce Seminar, Des Moines, Iowa (December 1, 2006).
- Keywords and Pop-Ups and Trademarks, Oh My!: Online Advertising Strategies Revisited Iowa State Bar Association eCommerce Seminar, Des Moines, Iowa (December 16, 2005).
- Keywords and Pop-Up Ads, A New Trend in Trademark Infringement—is it a fair use? Iowa State Bar Association eCommerce Seminar, Des Moines, Iowa (November 12, 2004).
- 2002 Federal Circuit Update Iowa Intellectual Property Law Association, 2002 Continuing Legal Education Seminar, Amana, Iowa (October 24, 2002).
Community Involvement & BOARD MEMBERSHIPS
- Board Member & 2016/ 2017 Board President, JDRF Western Wisconsin (2012-present)
- Co-In house Director & Coach, Sun Prairie Soccer Club 2016
- CIVITAS of Madison, Wisconsin – Class of 2011
- Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect & Board Member, Amanda Cares, Inc. dba Amanda the Panda (2006-2010)
- Leadership Iowa – Class of 2006-2007
- Treasurer & Board Member, Indiana University Alumni Club of Central Iowa (2005-2010)
- Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Iowa Intellectual Property Law Association (Board Member; 2009-2013; Secretary, 2011, 2012)
- Iowa State Bar Association
- eCommerce Section Council, Iowa State Bar Association (Chair, 2007-2009; Legislative Chair, 2006-2007; Council Member, 2005-2009)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association
- Dane County Bar Association
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- J.D., high honors, Drake University Law School, Des Moines, IA, 2001
- Drake Law Review, Projects Editor
- B.S. in Biochemistry, honors, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 1996